[Typo3-dev] DBAL - how to do it?

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 11:48:07 CET 2004

> hi all,
>
> i think the main problem of the DBAL-project is the performance. i
> recognized that typo3 isn't that fast yet, so it will be much slower
> later on, if we're only using objects. that would be a disadvantage,
> even if a DBAL would be great and i would really appreciate to see it
> working in typo3, but the performance problems especially of php itself
> remain

Sorry for late entry in discussion.

One major reason for doing DBAL is that it's an opportunity to re-design
the database, seperate out various concerns into different tables, and
make it easier to load balance based on table.

E.g. i would be nice, sometimes, to have the users tables for 3-4 sites
in one database while the content is somewhere else. Or you might like
to have 10 sites which share some content, but not all.

These are mad examples, but I think the interest in DBAL - or the
attitute "oh let's just get it done" - is reason enough to re-design
parts of Typo3 to make such crazy things possible.

Better to be over-flexible, than under-useful.

dan

P.s. I've just designed a workflow framework which is
implementation-indenpendent. The database management is completely
hidden, and resources are accessed via a strict (and 100% consistent)
API meaning that I'm going to be able to build a Java-Front-End to it
easily (the java objects will be designed to the Php-objects'
specification). Any want to get involved (in about a month)?