[Typo3-dev] DBAL - how to do it?

Dominic Stockdale dom at 3ev.com
Wed Feb 18 12:59:56 CET 2004

> One major reason for doing DBAL is that it's an opportunity to re-design
> the database, seperate out various concerns into different tables, and
> make it easier to load balance based on table.
>
> E.g. i would be nice, sometimes, to have the users tables for 3-4 sites
> in one database while the content is somewhere else. Or you might like
> to have 10 sites which share some content, but not all.
>
> These are mad examples, but I think the interest in DBAL - or the
> attitute "oh let's just get it done" - is reason enough to re-design
> parts of Typo3 to make such crazy things possible.

Good ideas. One very pressing reason for adding some kind of abstraction
to the db calls at the moment is that using another MySQL in an
extension immediately breaks your site as PHP picks up the most recent
link to MySQL. See:
<http://typo3.org/1422+M523001bc2c2.0.html?&tx_maillisttofaq_pi1[answered_only]=0&tx_maillisttofaq_pi1[sword]=data>

Would be nice to have a function to seperate out the calls to the db,
could lead on to DBAL quite easily from there too.

Dom

Dominic Stockdale
Tehnical Director
3rd Eye Vision Ltd