[Typo3-dev] S: mysql no threading for typo3-live cd rom

Ernesto Baschny ernst at baschny.de
Fri Aug 27 13:40:04 CEST 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Juergen Egeling wrote:

> 192MB start thinking about it. The problem that I still have is, that
> the mysqld is threading like hell, and I have about 13 mysqld running
> after a few mouse clicks, which eat up memory and sooner or later make
> the system get stuck.
> Under freeBSD I have just one mysqld running, which is perfect!

You should be aware that showing or not threads as processes with the "ps"
utility is kernel dependant. "ps" is supposed to show processes and not
threads. This was just fixed on latest Linux kernels, so the freeBSD vs
Linux output of "ps" is not really an indication of how many threads are
running. To get the right number, you should:

mysqladmin -u root processlist
or
mysqladmin -u root proc stat

> up with is the idea, to disable the threading in mysqld, for which a
> recompile is necessary

I would simply limit the maximum number of connections (max_connections)
on MySQLd and also on Apache (MaxConnection?), so that you avoid more
trouble. I'm not really sure if you can "turn off" threads, as this is an
important part of mysql's working.

Greets,
Ernesto