[Typo3-dev] MySQL specific code in Typo3

Arne Skjaerholt skjaerho at cpi.no
Wed Aug 18 12:01:08 CEST 2004

Hello everyone,
I am currently working on a project that needs a CMS that can interact
with a PostgreSQL database. 'But why are you talking to us?' I can hear
you cry... bear with me for a few lines and all will become clear.
Initially we decided to go with eZ publish, which has native support for
pgsql. However, the documentation for eZ is complete and utter crap (and
that's putting it mildly), and now, having spent two days trying to get
the example code in the eZ docs to work I decided to have a peek at the
typo3 code to see how much mysql specific code is in the source...
A few `grep|wc -l`s later I found that out of about 350 000 lines of
code only about a 1000 contained 'mysql_'. Further investigation, much
to my delight, shows that much of the mysql code is in the phpMyAdmin
which is bundled with typo3 and in a folder named 'oldscripts'.
This begs two questions from me:
1) Has someone already made a postgresql interface to Typo3?
(reinventing the wheel may be interesting, but it's not very
productive...)
and if this hasn't been done:
2) how much of the 'oldscripts' code is actually needed for the current
version of typo3?

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Arne Skjaerholt
:wq