[Typo3-dev] RFE: Remove profile data from images

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.no5pam.Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Tue Aug 17 09:37:55 CEST 2004

Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose a small enhancement to TYPO3's image handling
> "chain of command".
>
> I today had to fight images not showing on MSIE under
> Windows. Pfff. It turned out that the problem was caused by MSIE
> choking on XML data embedded into a profile block of the JPEG files
> (Photoshop 7 on MacOS X does this).
>
> Running all images through
>  jpegtran -copy none
> fixed the problem.
>
> Would it be a lot of work to add a switch to TYPO3 that makes it
> remove all profile information when transforming images for display?

We had this idea already on the list, though the proposed solution was
to use Imagemagick or GD2 to do the job (cannot remember right now).

Anyway, nobody with programming skills thought it was worth the hassle ;-)

Besides when would you apply the removal? While the image comes into
upload? Certainly not, as it would change the image. When it comes into
the temp directory? Fine, but you don't want to have ALL images
duplicated in the temp directory. Sidenote: IMHO storing the images all
in one dir. isn't such a good ideas as some filesystems have performance
penalties with very large dirs.

Masi