[Typo3-dev] call for interest: TypoScript+

Martin T. Kutschker Martin.no5pam.Kutschker at blackbox.n0spam.net
Mon Aug 2 16:26:59 CEST 2004

dan frost wrote:

> Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> On 2004-07-30, dan frost <dan at danfrost.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> * TypoScript parsing at the C-level - as a compiled-in module for php
>>
>> Hehe, would sure give a speed boost, at least for complex setups. One
>> would have to code it forst to be able to test, though :) Good that
>> I'm not a real C programmer...
>
> Nor am i but i don't think it's a big job - just use bison etc.
> actually, i think this would only take a couple of weeks to get a basic
> engine done because the parsing bit can be done with existing tools
> (bison..).

You still need to know C. And if you don't know bison yet you had to
learn this tool as well. Additionally the code must be portable, which
can be a daunting task even for experienced programmers. Though a parser
will probably raise little portability issues.

Of course you need to know the PHP-C-API as well. The task is, if I
understand correctly to parse a string into a PHP assoc array. The array
itself will be parsed by the Typo3 PHP classes.

But I doubt there is much performance benefit. The core is constantly
copying all those TS config arrays around (instead of using references -
ok, I know, the performance boost has not been verified), that it simply
doesn't matter. *)

BTW, C. What I would find much more interesting is to have a Apache
module for page delivery. The idea is to move the page cache from the DB
to the file system. So the file can be served directly by the web server.

And even if it wasn't serverved by Apache. Serving from a file via
fpassthru() is probably faster than fetching from the DB.

Masi

*) More ideas for optimization:

Convert the TCA cache from php-files to a serialized TCA. Probably needs
some twisting and I don't know if it would be 100% backwards compatible
since you can have arbitrary PHP code in localconf.php and tables.php.
But I reckon this would be a boost as well.