[Typo3-dev] call for interest: TypoScript+

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 00:49:04 CEST 2004

Karsten Dambekalns wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> On 2004-07-30, dan frost <dan at danfrost.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>* TypoScript parsing at the C-level - as a compiled-in module for php
>

> Hehe, would sure give a speed boost, at least for complex setups. One
> would have to code it forst to be able to test, though :) Good that
> I'm not a real C programmer...
Nor am i but i don't think it's a big job - just use bison etc.
actually, i think this would only take a couple of weeks to get a basic
engine done because the parsing bit can be done with existing tools
(bison..).

>>* TypoScript on the backend, with complete ability to make all the forms
>>that TCA can, but in TypoScript (althought, probably ObTS!!)
>

> Erm, what would this do for us? Allow to define the BE rendering
> through TS instead of TCA? Well. Hm. Any examples?

You can customise that backend as much as you can customise the
frontend. And, it's the same "language" - forms that work on the
frontend work on the back... Reuse of code.

>>* File-based TypoScript editing - with some extras. E.g. Imaging the
>>following:
>>
>>===file begins
>>TYPO3_MODE = FE
>>
>>require {
>>	0 = EXT: tt_news/ext_typoscript_setup.txt
>>	1 = DB: myfolder/sometemplate
>>	1.date = "<= 2nd March 2004"
>>}
>>
>># TS/ObTS goes here....
>>
>>===file ends
>

> If I get this right I would be able to use TS from external files
> (like it is possible right now) plus having the ability to fetch TS
> from a database.
>
> Well, I tried this, and it was a bit awkward - after having edited the
> TS file, one always has to remember to clear the cache. And it is
> harder to see the whole picture of what you coded in your template. I
> switched back to 'pure TS' (I hope you understand what I mean with
> this) and think that using basis templates is a better way to
> structure things.

I've worked out how to do this (easy use of files):
1. Extend template table with 2 fields: (i) Is external file (boolean);
(ii) file reference (done in palettes/etc) and (iii) a rewew-this-file
2. Do extensions to classes that get and build the typoscript so they
can get it from the files if required
3. In #2 allow a flag for "renew file cache" which will use the flag set
in #1 to tell the ts-parser (and/or related stuff) to renew the cache

...etc - basically, you can patch the ts-engine to allow for ts to come
from different places and allow for their (e.g. files') needs.

My example is just getting at the things you'd need to allow for it TS
move to file-based from db-based.

>>Maybe a lot of this is like the TypoScript editor project..
>

> Speaking of which - are there any things in (your) pipeline that deal
> with TS editing 'directly'? I.e. an automatic way to generate some
> machine-readable TS grammar for use in syntax higlighting or error
> checking?

I think so - using the ObTS model of allowing objects to "tell" a
controller object what does X, Y or Z might help. In fact, i'm planning
a release of obts/obts_core which does this - see the latest release of
obts in doc/TODO.txt (plug, plug!)

dan