[Typo3-dev] Re: The future of typo3

Daniel Hinderink [TYPO3] daniel at typo3.com
Mon Oct 27 20:25:09 CET 2003

Hi Patrick,

I spent so much time on this thread, because I want to get at the heart of
the "future of typo3" proposition.

It is clear that there is truth to some of the points and it all is
certainly worth considering, but it is not about adding some more
functionality, but redefining basic concepts.

I think we have to face this and find out what path we can reasonably
pursue, with what we have in terms of existing code and capacity.

> "Didier Geheniau" :
>> Re-think the concept of authentication and authorization.
>
>> A user is one person, this person can access the front-end and the
>> back-end. By login in with a user account he is authenticated as the
>> right person.
>
>> Groupmemberships give him the authorization to do things. It doesn't
>> matter if you split the backend and the frond end. You can always define
>> backend groups with backend rights and frond end groups with front-end
>> rights.
>
> I just can agree with Didier on that one.
>
> One of the big thread right now (at least in North America...) is Single
> Sign-On (SSO).

That is pretty trivial to implement and just added functionality.

> People can't remember more than 5 passwords so they write them on post-it
> everywhere or use the same for email, bank account and so on. You can't blame
> them. Education is a nice approach...in your dream.
>
> Even for typo3.org I have dual account and it feel awkward.
>
> For me double identity can't be a good thing.
>

> If TYPO3 try to become a Learning Management System (LMS) with all those
> students that help a teacher build his content and are also FE users for other
> courses it will be double-identity partytime...

To summarize this one last time: I think this is a fundamental question,
wether TYPO3 as it is today, can or should be made into such a more
portal-like architecture in the many relevant areas, like user management,
automatic form generation across the system (also in the frontend), more
modularity, code reusability etc. etc.
It most certainly is not about creating more code on top of what is there,
it is about fundamental changes.

Cheers,

daniel

--