[Typo3-dev] Re: The future of typo3

Michael Zedeler michael at zedeler.dk
Sun Oct 26 12:44:04 CET 2003

Daniel Hinderik writes:

>On the general notion of creating a symbiotic frontend and backend user
>concept, I am less enthusiastic about this.

I hope that this is not the way you understand what I have been writing.
Of course it should be possible to separate those two parts of the
system. I just want what separates them to be something more trivial
rather than 938427 lines of PHP-code.

One thing is interdependent modules another thing is modules using the
same libraries. I hope it is clear that what I was writing for is the
latter, not the first.

>Therefore the rather thin definition of the FE-User (basically the id) and
>the notion of attaching information about rights and ownerships to the
>records themselves, is much more flexible and extensible.
>
>On a more systematic scale, I believe calling for unification on the grounds
>that frontend interaction is as important as backend interaction today, is
>too superficial.

That - again - depends on what you intend to use the system for. I'd be
really, really happy if someone provided me with a system equivalent
with typo3s frontend plugins where I didn't have to worry about
permissions. That would make my life a lot easier.

>Summarising these two "worlds" will not, in my opinion, mean a more uniform,
>but a more open approach. Practically speaking, it is important to go the
>way Robert and René have indicated, of making (existing) functionality more
>reusable on all ends of the system.

To go further into the details - if a slightly more generic permission
system as the one used in the backend was available *as an option* to
frontend developers, it would be really nice.

Regards,

Michael.