[Typo3-dev] Re: The future of typo3

Michael Zedeler michael at zedeler.dk
Sun Oct 26 01:49:51 CEST 2003

Hi Jan-Hendrik

> I've been following this, and I hardly find any time for it. Most of my
> thoughts have been said by others. One thing this I am still interested in:
>
> You (Michael) say that not seperating fe-be-users is better design. I am
> actually thinking as Kasper seperated it is the way I'd do it now as well,
> as it really makes sense to me. It's about 2 totally different usergroups !

Look at it like this: if there is no separation bulit into the system, one can always add the separation later. If it is there by design, it is impossible (or very hard) to circumvent. I want to be able to let anybody author pages in a protected environment, because it is an easy way to solve a lot of problems.

> I did a lot of projects, and I can't think of any single project where it
> would have made sense to not seperate it, where it would have made sense
> using the same userbase.

If you have a website with a lot of different roles, do you create one table with users for each role?

Its all the way back to database normalisation. Those entities represent persons and hence belong in the same table.

> I remember Peter Kühn, who had some small script which adds a button in the
> frontend, if for a fe-user another valid be-user exists, so he could sign in
> automaticly. So, he obviously had use for it. But this is the only single
> project I heard of it.

I need it now. I'll be happy to post a link to the project when it has been launched.

> Could you please enlight me about your thoughts about the benefits of
> putting them together ?

You write above: "its about two totally different usergroups!". So create one *group* for backend users and one *group* for frontend users. Deal done. When is it handy? In case somebody needs access both places, updating his/her profile will be cumbersome and using the system will be confusing because the user doesn't distinguish between frontend and backend. Login, password and personal details will have to be kept up to date in two different places.

Let me provide a couple of examples:

Example 1: Dating
Each user can edit his/her own profile along with a number of ordinary cms-pages.

Example 2: Auction
Each product has an ordinary page that describes the product that is up for auction.

Example 3: Intranet
Everybody have their own section for editing pages, but they also use frone-end plugins, so they would need front end profiles.

Example 4: Project management
Most stuff is done using front end plugins, but in addition each manager maintains a number of pages describing the projects he/she manages.

With regard to LDAP: yes. But why is it suddently is okay with you to merge the two structures just because the data has been moved to LDAP...?

- Michael Zedeler (mzedeler)

This thread is located in the archive at this URL:
http://typo3.org/1427+M52658afa57c.0.html