[Typo3-dev] The future of typo3

René Fritz r.fritz at colorcube.de
Sat Oct 25 14:38:03 CEST 2003

Hi Michael

Robert has already commented so there's no need for me to go into details.

Generally I agree to your comments. Most of the issues are already adressed.
Nevertheless comments like yours are highly appreciated.

Software - not only Open Source - is some evolutionary thing. Some of the
things in TYPO3 would be made a little different by now if we would start
from scratch. On the other hand we still belive in the overall concepts. For
example, when extensions were introduced this could have been done with minor
changes. All the interfaces were already there.

Some of the issues you described depends on the seperation of frontend and
backend. I can not simply agree to your advice to use only one user table,
but that is not the point. The seperation of  FE and BE is intended. That
means the BE is a database application which can run without any FE. The FE
don't have to be a website. Of course you're right if you say BE and FE
should share more functionality.
BTW: do you know that you can edit content in the frontend?

I totally agree that building a plugin should be more easy. There's more
foundation needed.

We'll try to move the codebase to be more abstract and reusable, which will
have the effect to share more functionality in BE and FE. We belive that it
can be done without a big compatibility break.
On the other hand we're not afraid to introduce technologies which should
replace old ones if that is the cleaner and better way for the future.

much to do ...

greetings
René

--