[Typo3-dev] re-engineering the form content type

Martin Kutschker martin.t.kutschker at blackbox.net
Thu Oct 16 15:10:30 CEST 2003

Hi dan,

> What you talk about is similar to what could be achieved by by OO
> version of TS and its datatypes. I am going to re-publish the idea in
> the "project" area of typo3.org asap.

More OO is nice assuming of creating "real" class hierarchies not just function wrappers.

BTW, the new classes could be a bit more cleaned up. cObj has a whole lot of stuff for everything (including SQL utillities and an email verifiyer). I really think that each class should have a very limited purpose.

> The system allows any extension to add new content types with even less
> friction than at present. In short there is one "Content" object (i.e.
> class) from which all other content types extend and add functions.
> Also, using PHP5 interfaces you could have class which provided
> interfaces to the content object (e.g. isEditable; isDynamic...etc).

Nice.

> As much as I like the idea of Backward compatibility, I have to say that
> i've been won over by Kasper's idea of just doing something different
> from scratch. Otherwise the legacy-baggage is hellish.

I would have thought that Kasper favours backward compatibility. Me likes new stuff ;-)

Though I'd prefer to create *new* APIs rather than changing old ones. The old stuff could be turned into empty shells that only wrap calls to the new API.

Anyway I was referring to backward compatibility for users not developers. Removing features of a content type will break existing sites. Removing APIs might break them as well...

Regards,
Masi