[Typo3-dev] Quality development

Thomas Murphy murphy at thepanemgroup.com
Wed Nov 12 11:36:40 CET 2003

Hello List,

first of all, i think you are right about that. I'm following this
project only for some month now,
but i've seen the extension list grow at high speed, with a lot of badly
named extension keys and
some half-finished stuff or frame-works, which doesn't match the
elegance of the core-code.
I think it's the right time to ask for a solution.

Daniel Hinderink [TYPO3] wrote:

>There are many ways around this, from creating a company running TYPO3
>(ezPublish, Zope) to limiting contribution like Linus does, or we are in the
>process of doing with the rating of extensions to some degree. There could
>also be a number of stages leading to the publication of an extension, one
>being a public proposal.
>
>I am looking forward to your thoughts and proposals.

This company thing tastes bad. Can't exactly tell why.

First of all, i would suggest sorting the extensions in a system like
the sf.net 'trove'-categorization,
parallel to the category sorting (BE,FE,..) for a better overview. (not
only the big list)

Limiting the contributions maybe one solution, but the project would
definitely lose some of it's speed,
because of the moderator. Why don't just split the extension list into
two parts:

1. 'official' - either for download, or directly shipped with typo
(maybe it's time for some typo-distro's ? ... like TYPOshop,
TYPOintranet, ...)
The official extensions are always maintained by someone responsible,
who's merging all dev-branches
and cleans up the code (sounds like fun, hmm?).

2. 'unoffical' - only for download, like the current ext-list
(means always untested or beta, maybe: an extension needs an amount of
user ratings to get into the
official list)

this may result in a system that doesn't get the 10's
photobook/webgallery/slideshow - ext. and has
always clean extension key's, code, etc.
but anyway, i believe you guys will somehow handle this... ;)

bye,
Murphy