[Typo3-dev] Future of Typo3 - Aftermath

Chi Hoang hoang at planb-media.de
Mon Nov 3 12:38:56 CET 2003

Daniel Brün wrote:

> Here's just the single point of the discussion that I would like to
> comment on:
> Basically, DB-normalisation is a great thing.
> It makes a huge DB-system very, very modular and smooth.
>
> BUT: With data spread over many tables, lots of joins are necessary to
> collect a set of data that actually belongs together, thus definitely
> impairing performance. Even though normalisation is great in science,
> in daily use applications it's not always the way to go.

*nod* I agree absolutly with you. But the whole prozess of normalization
does not mean not to optimize as far as i  understand. To make a perfect(!)
db you must find *all* redundants data and purge them to the max. Then in
the last step you search for performance leaks, and optimize the table
structure. So you have always a  middleway between speed and flexibilty. I
have been told and read that the bigger dbs have several strategiea to speed
up a query, for example cache joins in views, optimize storage(!) sytem,
special way of indexing etc. This is very interesting :).

Greetings,

Chi