[Typo3-dev] bibliographic standards?

Troels Kjær Rasmussen troelsr at msn.com
Sun Nov 2 22:01:19 CET 2003

Hi list

Posted this in userlist, but it regards DEV members too....

What could strengthen Typo3 even more? - I see a lot of good people working towards making typo3 a ENTERPRISE SCALE CMS - and I see them succeeding (Kasper in the lead)! - To strengthen Typo3 even more I suggest a BIBLIOGRAPHIC standard for storing information of all sorts in typo3.

ISSUE:

There´s already a lot of extensions out, which handle books, douments, articles, PDF files and other media, which are often used. I´m working at a place that deals with all sorts of distributed  material/media in a bibliographic way too and couldn´t live without bibliographic standards.

If we could stanardize fields in tables for storing information on articles, books, documents a.s.o., I think Typo would be the first CMS I´ve seen (Except documentum, maybe) that did this and it would open many new doors for importing, exporting, manipulating data from extension to extension.

Example 1: EELibrary to future library system

Say a typo user had stored maybe thousands of books in the excellent extension EElibrary, but in the future developed or downloaded a new extension, which better suited his needs. In this case if the information on books, articles a.s.o. stored in EELibrary were stored with some default standardized fields (like title, section, keywords a.s.o.) + some EElibrary specific fields, he could easily transfer the thousands of  records to his new extension + set some default values for specific fileds in this new extension.

Example 2: Extensions sharing information.

Extensions could/would be build who had a standard for getting info from a various other extension-tables and displaying them, exporting them or whatever the shared extension did.

Example 3: International standard.

If the typo3-media standard was based upon an international standard (I suggest UNIMARC, EUMARC and USMARC) importing/exporting records from external systems would be a breeze - and would really offer connectivity to e.g. documentum, library-systems, AMAZON API and many other systems + customers could export e.g. their article-selection to a CSV file that interacted with his dealers systems too.

Any1 else think this is a good idea? - any1 wants to work with me (after OK from DEV group) to set up a sketch for such a standard?

- Troels Kjær Rasmussen (troelsr)