[Typo3-dev] TSML

=?us-ascii?Q?=22Kasper_Sk=E5rh=F8j=22?= kasper at typo3.com
Fri Jun 27 00:45:34 CEST 2003

>1) writing xml tsml or whatever (and any one of the three "styles" brought
>to us by Kasper) is just as tedious as writing html. I thought we had CMS
>because we don't want to put in much time where it is not needed and time
>can be put to better use. So no xml as far as editing is concerned!

:-)))

>2) "learning xml" versus "learning TS"... sounds like nonsense to me. With
>"xml" you'd have to learn to properly use the tags and xml syntax as well
>as all the options used in typoscript.. you know, the whole TSref ;)...
>The *proper* TS syntax is just ">" and "<" and "=" and "(" and ")" and "."
>if you see what what I mean.

Yes,

Strictly speaking TypoScript means ONLY the *syntax* of entering information while the *options* you can use and which are found in TSref belongs to the socalled "TypoScript Templates" - which as the name implies uses TypoScript to define information according to the semantics of TSref.

>3) so "using xml" with TS is rather a change of notation to me than
>something really revolutionary, right? I can't see any advantages, but
>still if there are any, everybody feel free to contribute and write 50
>lines of code converting TS syntax to TSML syntax.

I agree.

>4) revolutionary would be to change the typo3 and typo3-extensions's
>behaviour from "parsing TS" to "compiling TS"... ;)

Dont get this...

>5) I can only see the advantage of xml when used "behind the scenes", for
>instance to change the
>storage of the TCA from php to xml,

Why? Would be slower.

> or for database
>schematics (yes, dbal ;) )

Metabase, eh... :-)

>6) hm - maybe someone likes to write an extension to output an xml
>pagetree structure? or write a new menu-generating script which take
>xml-structures as input? or...
>TS is the last thing I would personally think of !
>
>7) if it's all about marketing (not my strongpoint perhaps, I know), we
>could always "sell them the emperors cloths" as the expression goes! Hm,
>let's see, what about this one:

:-)

- kasper
Check www.typo3.com