[Typo3-dev] TSML

Luite van Zelst luite at aegee.org
Thu Jun 26 22:12:46 CEST 2003

Hi Folks,

> I'm playing with something useless this night; I want to create an
> alternative to storing the information for which we normally use
> TypoScript. So I tried to convert this TypoScript snippet:

some loose ideas from me in this whole discussion...

1) writing xml tsml or whatever (and any one of the three "styles" brought
to us by Kasper) is just as tedious as writing html. I thought we had CMS
because we don't want to put in much time where it is not needed and time
can be put to better use. So no xml as far as editing is concerned!

2) "learning xml" versus "learning TS"... sounds like nonsense to me. With
"xml" you'd have to learn to properly use the tags and xml syntax as well
as all the options used in typoscript.. you know, the whole TSref ;)...
The *proper* TS syntax is just ">" and "<" and "=" and "(" and ")" and "."
if you see what what I mean.

3) so "using xml" with TS is rather a change of notation to me than
something really revolutionary, right? I can't see any advantages, but
still if there are any, everybody feel free to contribute and write 50
lines of code converting TS syntax to TSML syntax.

4) revolutionary would be to change the typo3 and typo3-extensions's
behaviour from "parsing TS" to "compiling TS"... ;)

5) I can only see the advantage of xml when used "behind the scenes", for
instance to change the storage of the TCA from php to xml, or for database
schematics (yes, dbal ;) )

6) hm - maybe someone likes to write an extension to output an xml
pagetree structure? or write a new menu-generating script which take
xml-structures as input? or...
TS is the last thing I would personally think of !

7) if it's all about marketing (not my strongpoint perhaps, I know), we
could always "sell them the emperors cloths" as the expression goes! Hm,
let's see, what about this one:

"Typo3 is XML compliant....
...For example it can automagically convert TS to XML and back again !!"

And here is the proof:
"
<?php
  // this converts to xml and back again !
function cloths_of_emperor($TS_stuff) {
  return $TS_stuff;
}
?>
"

ok, just kidding ;-)

I suspect you guys have some comments on this ? I hope so. :-)

regards, Luite.