[Typo3-dev] TS inconsistencies...

=?us-ascii?Q?=22Kasper_Sk=E5rh=F8j=22?= kasper at typo3.com
Mon Jul 28 09:46:45 CEST 2003

Hi Hannes.

>they didn't, we wouldn't need to discuss them here. Attached you'll find my
>counter-intuitive.

A comment on your attached mail which is reproduced below:

>I figured it out on my own.
>
>>   altImgResource = fileadmin/ts/i/mnu_{field:alias}.gif
>>   altImgResource.insertData = 1
>

>doesn't work because the method stdWrap isn't called by the GMENU
>implementation. So the insertData is ignored. This is not logical and it
>took me some time to find out. One shouldn't have to dig the sources.

When you look into TSref this is what you can find:

- "altImgResource" is a "imgResource" object ("datatype" is the word used).
- A look up for "imgResource" in the data types/imgResource function definition tells us that a NO CALL to stdWrap can be expected!!

Now, this is in perfect accord with what you even discovered yourself when you looked into the source; that no call to "stdWrap" is done! Now, why did you expect that? Noone promised you that. It would in fact be rather inconsistent if it was there and you couldn't find it documented in TSref, I would say. So I find it rather unfair to claim that this is not logical. Should every object in TypoScript have stdWrap properties pasted all over it! No, of course not.

Still, my admission is this:
- TSref MAY be hard to figure out from time to time, it needs revision and a stricter way to define stuff like data types so you can follow the hierarchy. That is not sufficient right now, I admit.

However, I maintain:
- The implementation of TypoScript called "TypoScript Templates" having TSref as its "API documentation" is fully consistent; The only way to claim otherwise would be to find for example somewhere in TSref where a property is noted to have "stdWrap" properties but then for some reason did not implement, say, the "case" stdWrap property - that is called inconsistent (unless noted!!), because all OTHER uses of "stdWrap" elsewhere does implement this.

>Things
>like this should either be documented

... and it was...

>or intuitive.

... and it wasn't for you. I suspect it was because you had an immature understanding of how TypoScript Templates works.

I'm sorry for this mail, maybe a little harsh, but I'm just so frustrated that you seem to claim something is inconsistent, you even show a pretty well knowledge of the issue since you correctly described why it didn't work (from the source), but in the end it turns out - as I see it and just revealed here - that you didn't read the documentation!? Is that true, or what may help me to understand why this criticism should be fair?

- kasper
Check www.typo3.com