[Typo3-dev] TS inconsistencies...

Mathias Schreiber [netfielders] ms at netfielders.de
Fri Jul 25 12:25:38 CEST 2003

Hannes Schmidt wrote:
> Typoscript is harder to learn, than it appears. Usually, I pick up things
> pretty fast. But with TS I had to spend a lot of time on a very simple
> problem. See my previous postings.

I think that this depends on a point of view.

> The syntax is ok, allthough it could be streamlined a little bit (nesting of
> conditionals, proper comments, and so on). The main problem is the
> semantics. A beginner level Typo3 user could never ever understand or use TS
> with just the documentation and examples at hand. One always needs to look
> at the PHP implementation of the various constructs, objects and properties
> in TS in order to get the semantics. This boils down to "Want to learn TS?
> Learn PHP first!"

*neeeeeeg*
Not acepted.
I did several rather huge projects before I started looking at Typo3
sourcecodes.
Plus that a lot of people obviously learn pretty fast about TS.
I do trainings all over germany and as soon as someone gets the concept
behind TS they are able to work very fast with TS.
Don't get me wrong, I am not the kind of "I can do anything with TS"
Powerusers, but I know my way around.

> Anyway, Typo3 is a great thing. And it's Open Source. So I'll just have to
> accept the shortcomings of TS. But begginners should be warned about the
> complexity of TS.

hmm, maybe there is a problem in the docs or something, but TS itself is
quite self-explanatory.

> And by the way, Typoscript IS a language. It has a syntax, so it is a
> language. It's  not a programming languange but not all computer languages
> are programming languages. There are configuration languages, specification
> languages ...

define(point_of_view); ;-)