[Typo3-dev] Install and shared hosting

Peter Niederlag pn at kreativwert.de
Mon Jul 21 13:43:05 CEST 2003

Hi Martin,

Martin-Pierre Frenette <typo3 at frenette.qc.ca> schrieb :

> Exactly... the problem is that many people do not understand
> that difference.
>
> The problem is the FTP and the not SSH.
>
> In fact, if I didn't have all the libraries and I provided
> SSH, my users wouldn't be able to use the Typo3 graphic function.
> Shared hosting is not the problem. FTP is not the problem.
> The problem is whether the setup is Typo3 friendly or not.

and that is exactyl why I did my first post. ;)

With ssh you _most of the time_ will be able to change the environment a
lot easier than with ftp.
a) no Problem to compile something you need on that host.
b) no Problem to place software their with wget etc...
c) setup a  cronjob to handle problems with file-ownership

But we are in full agreement, it's a matter of the
"alltogether-environment".  :->
"Installation of Typo3 in your webspace will be a great pain if your
hosting environment won't meet at least the requirements as stated on
http://typo3.org/1275.0.html and/or your hoster is not willing/capable
to help with setting up a proper environment"

PeterN
--
Peter Niederlag
http://www.ikd01.de * Information Kommunikation Design *