[Typo3-dev] TypoScript Unleashed

Brian Kunau brian at kunaucompanies.com
Thu Jul 17 16:40:33 CEST 2003

Hello All,

First, a big THANK YOU to Kasper for a very well organized document
containing very specific explanations/comparisons.

Second,
On Wed July 16, on the typo3-english list Greg Remington referenced a
zdnet article and asked for links or information to counter what was, to
say the least, an opinion that was less than a ringing endorsement of
open source CMS/CMF.

Below is a quote from article:

>>Despite the apparent benefits of outsourcers “supporting” open source
content management, there is no indication that their support will be
formal or long term. The same issues of integration will be encountered,
leading to the client to ultimately pay for the additional work
required.<<

I think the inclusion of quotation marks around the word supporting is
dismissive of the level of commitment some businesses are showing
towards open source CMS, both for intra and internet content interaction
and distribution.

Further, one's ability to provide or receive "formal or long term"
support for any platform is tenuous a best.  Is Oracle going to meet the
burden of proof (which apparently is measured on a scale kept in the
authors head) for "formal long term" support in regards to the tens of
thousands of PeopleSoft license holders??????????????  I should think,
NO!

Are those client companies also, most likely, going to need to
themselves sever "formal long term" outsourcing arrangements due to the
death of their current platform?????????  I should think, YES!

Finally, the author does recognize that no matter what you change to or
from there will be integration issues which require client money to be
spent, HOWEVER, the platform similarity ends there.  The phrase "clients
ultimately paying for additional work" is true, but the amounts vary
wildly!  Go get a bid for 9i with data conversion then tell me if you
learned the true meaning of the phrase "Ultimately Paying"!

A well maintained, readily accessible, and detailed documentation
arsenal is one of the best contradictions I can think of to any
formality or longevity arguments.  Kasper's latest work is a powerful
weapon in the defense of our chosen format.

Regards,

Brian L. Kunau
President
The Kunau Companies, Inc. (TKCI)
mailto:brian at kunaucompanies.com
859.288.5000

This correspondence, as well as any attached information, including, but
not limited to, data files, graphic images, and referenced replies, is
confidential and legally protected as such.  This correspondence is
intended for the addressee only.  Possession of, viewing of, or access
to, this correspondence by any party or parties, other than the
addressee is unauthorized.

Any form of copying, distribution, or disclosure, in whole or in part,
as well as any actions performed, or not performed, by unauthorized
persons based on the contents of this correspondence, is expressly
prohibited and may be legally actionable.

If you have received this correspondence in error, please contact TKCI
at 859.288.5000 or info at kunaucompanies.com.  Thank You.