[Typo3-dev] Re: [Typo3] Freesite Extension

Carlos Chiari (DE) ccho at dimension-e.net
Thu Dec 25 19:11:52 CET 2003

Hi Folks:

Merry christmas for all christians on the list, and happy new year for all!

About allowing a privileged, non-admin, user to have access to the Constant
Editor, I think there is no need for another solution, but to re-think the
"admin-only" privilege setting of the tool, as well as, I dare to say, to
rethink the whole concept of "admin-only" enforced by software instead of
allowed or not by admin, as told on others threads (for awstats, etc.).

As the Constant Tool (typo3/ext/tstemplate_ceditor) is an extension of the
Template Module (typo3/ext/tstemplate), which is an "admin-only" one, no way
it can be used by privileged back-end users.

Yet, it is farther more easier to move this tool to the "Web->Functions"
module or to configure the "Templates" module to be available to
"users,groups", then be able to configure which functions of the menu are
available for each group (I have read something about this in other places),
including the group at the user's record, etcetera, than to "reinvent the
wheel".

And, finally, the Admins should set the editable constants (with the
"#cat=basic/dims..." etc construction) so they can be used by some User, and
not by themselves.

***************
I have also  thought  that there could be a category or prefix/sufix  for a
group of constants that could be set as privileged constants, be it that the
script is modified to allow them to admins or disallow them to regular
users, and then modify the constant parser to recognize them.  Something
like

#cat=basic/dims/admin
myconstant =
or
#cat=basic/dims
admin.myconstant =

Well... know everybody is with family, and work has been turned off for
holidays... so best wishes for you all on 2004

Best regards,

Carlos