[Typo3-dev] Removal of t3lib/ redundancy?

"Kasper Skårhøj" kasper at typo3.com
Sat Dec 20 21:41:28 CET 2003

Hi folks.

With the event of TYPO3 3.6.0 should we finally get rid of (some of) the t3lib/ redundancy?

The situation is:

t3lib/ is found twice: In typo3/ and in the root of a site. t3lib/ is 900 files large now (formerly 700)
gfx/ is redundant THREE times; in t3lib/gfx/, typo3/t3lib/gfx/ and typo3/gfx/ (there are formerly 500. now 800 icons).

Suggestion:

- remove t3lib/  from the siteroot and point all usage to [TYPO3_mainDir]/t3lib - this of course requires typo3/ main dir to ALWAYS be available with a website. This kind of dependancy is already a reality since global extensions must be available for the frontend.
- move gfx/ OUT of t3lib/ and fix it to [TYPO3_mainDir] folder where it is also now. In other words, typo3/gfx/ will be the only position and all usage from t3lib/gfx/ will stop. (this alone will remove 1400 redundant files).

Finally, an option could be to just do it for the gfx/ icons and leave t3lib/ for now.

There are still the redundancy of tslib/ and media/ left - this is not solved yet.

Anyways, this is just something for a little debate. Please don't say "Yes, just do it". I think we need to carefully consider the implications first and come of with the most effective and least damaging change.

We might do this with TYPO3 3.6.0 OR 3.6.1 in mind. Preferably the change should be available in 3.6.0RC2. RC1 will hopefully be out before christmas.
- kasper

New address! (Nov. 2003)

Kasper Skaarhoj
Tryggevaeldevej 8