[Typo3-dev] Initiating a page version feature

Michael Zedeler michael at zedeler.dk
Sat Dec 6 13:29:11 CET 2003

Michael Stucki wrote:

> I am looking out for a feature where a page can be identified explicitely
> using a version ID. [cut]
>
> What is the best strategy for that?

Since there is a group working on a database abstraction layer, this
definately belongs there.

> I could change the pages VID (version ID) right after the change of a
> content element.
>
> I could also add a VID to every element and compare a checksum of all
> elements on one page whenever the page gets reloaded. This may be more
> complicated, but I think this is easier to detect changes in elements of
> the type "inserted record", right?

The first option above seems to be the most clear-cut. You should
consider what sort of versioning you're looking for. Should it be
reversible?

If I have this page:

Headline: abc
Text: defghi
Version: 2

and I add

Headline: abc
Text: defghi
Text: jkl

it becomes

Version: 3

If I were to remove the last text element again, thus reverting the
change I just made, what should the version number be then? 2 or 4?

Regards,

Michael.