[TYPO3-debian] Problems installing Typo3 4.0.2

dave Bottrill davidbottrill at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 18:52:41 CEST 2007

Dear All,

I am currently attempting to install (or 'upgrade' as I've put a copy of
typo 3.5.0-7 on another Debian etch machine, but the database section of
1-2-3 - GO failed, which I understand is due to MySQL 5.0 not working well
with typo 3.5.0-7) and set up a test site with typo3 (version 4.0.2) using
the .deb packages provided on the Debian site.  The machine is a Debian etch
box with the packages:

Typo3
Typo3-dummy
Typo3-src-4.0.23
Mysql-client-5.0
Mysql-common
Mysql-server-5.0
Php4
Apache 2.2

I’ve followed the readme provided in:

/usr/share/doc/typo3/README.Debian.gz

The steps followed were:

1.	I made sure that the symlinks php4.conf and php4.load, within
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled are pointing to:

/etc/apache2/mods-available

2.	Uncommented the php4.ini extensions:

extension = gd.so
extension = mysql.so

3.	Set up the symbolic links for typo3-dummy:

/etc/apache2/site-available
/etc/apache2/site-enabled

4.	Checked the ownership for the typo3-dummy directory and contents have
been set to www-data, which cannot performed with typo3-site-installer as
this is no longer part of the provided tool set.
5.	Shut down and restarted the server:

What I'm not understanding is how to create the actual new website, as the
typo3-site-installer tool is no longer a supported/or supplied?  Do the
users now need to create the web site 'by hand' or are there any tools to
help, with this?  Sorry if there any simple tutorials, which you could point
me towards or hints and tips, as many of the tutorial I've found are a
little out of date or not aimed at Debian users.  Any help would be useful
as I am a bit of a Debian newbie,

Thanks,

Dave.