[TYPO3-debian] eaccelerator for PHP 4.4.7-0.dotdeb.1

Steffen Müller steffen at mail.kommwiss.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 21 02:33:58 CEST 2007

Hi Michael.

Nice to see that you still have time for Debianization  ;-)

On 20.06.2007 21:45 Michael Stucki wrote:

> Differences that I've found between his and my packages (what would you
> prefer?)
>
> - he doesn't load the module automatically

afaik other modules (e.g. gd/mysql) don't get loaded automatically too.
(you have to remove the comment to enable the module.

> - he loads it using "extension" while I am using zend_extension / (+..._ts)

I have no clue about the difference.
But the eaccelerator docs say: "If you use a thread safe build of PHP
you must use "zend_extension_ts" instead of "zend_extension"."
http://eaccelerator.net/wiki/InstallFromSource
So for mpm-worker this is true, but how about the other models? and
cherokee, lighttpd...
Best practice would be a hint into /usr/share/doc/README and let the
user decide.
The source distribution ships zend_extension

> - I append "php5" to the name of the cache directory (making it somewhat
>   unique)

One could have also mod_php on one host:
/var/cache/eaccelerator-php5-cgi
too exorbitant?

> - My default shm_size is 16, while he is using 32

Since memory size grows over the years, 32MB should fit as a minimum.
(except for the 128MB vserver we am running ;-)

> About the shm_size: I didn't check yet but wonder how this will affect
> people (me!) running PHP5 trough apache2-mpm-worker and with
> libapache2-mod-fcgid? Will 3 PHP threads eat 5*32 MB memory?

Good question. I don't think so, because from a logical point of view,
shm is "shared memory". ;-)

--
cheers,
Steffen