[TYPO3-debian] typo3 installation on apache2, PHP4 parallel to PHP5

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Fri Apr 28 08:59:40 CEST 2006

Hello Allan,

> Hi Alexander and others
>
> I have to comment on this,
> TYPO3 version 4.0 work very well with php5, but I have had
> problems with v3.8.

Which exactly? Please be precise. 8)

We run several huge Typo3 sites since years as well. Many with Typo3 3.8.1
and already some new 4.0.0 sites without any trouble. The only bad trouble
we had, is not PHP related at all!  It is that not all extensions were truly
ready for 4.0.0 on the time Typo3 4.0.0 was finally released and migrating
complex sites with many extensions from 3.8.1 to 4.0.0 definitely caused
(and still caused) serious trouble.

> I have never seen a extension that needed php5, and I run 5
> servers, with some
> 40-50 websites, all running php4...........

You should know this better, Allan. :D :P

Btw: We don`t count servers or sites here, do we? Many people, including
myself and others here run more, other people less - but that doesn`t count
in my view: e.g. running many outdated servers with simple sites (basic
extensions only, no larger use of typoscript and private extensions) does
not make reliable statistics. Of course: running e.g. PHP 5.1.3 altogether
with developer extensions will not make the person "cool/lead/whatever", but
possibly cause self-inflicted headaches when running such a site for
"production use". ;-)

So, after many extensions were "fixed" or optimised for PHP5 support, i
personally noticed that, on the other hand, trouble running those extensions
with PHP4 was caused. I remember ve_guestbook with all features, esp.
extension freecap actived, and some other extensions. Possibly, these
migration effects are fixed now - but honestly: If you want to build up a
new Typo3 site (4.0.0 in most cases) from scratch - and therefore use latest
officially released extensions (not developer extensions!) from TER - i
personally would recommend to have PHP5 running, because most extensions
authors, at least i have contact with, already use PHP5 on productions
systems (as well as i do).

PHP4 (4.4.x) is neither "old" or "bad", Allan. But starting the work on a
new site with the faster and stable PHP5 will - at least in my opinion - be
the less troublesome idea. :)

Kind Regards

Alexander Schories
Tuebingen, Germany

If privacy or security of communication is on your mind, feel free to
establish a secure transmission using the PGP public key obtainable from
http://www.schories.com/alexander/pubkey/alexander_schories.asc