[TYPO3-debian] typo3 installation on apache2, PHP4 parallel to PHP5

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Fri Apr 28 01:19:15 CEST 2006

Hello Ute,

> I have an apache2 server with PHP5 module (PHP5.1.2-1 as
> dotdeb package with mysql support) and mysql server 4.1. now
> we need typo3. so far as I know, typo3 needs PHP4 to work properly.

No, Typo3 3.8.1 and 4.0.0 both work *excellent* with PHP5! 99% of the
extensions do also work with PHP5, many of them now even DEPEND on PHP>=5.0!

> to run PHP4 parallel to PHP5, I have to install PHP4 as cgi.
> is there a good tutorial available, which decribes how that
> works? (problem: vhost)

Please be aware that - although some users here mentioned to successfully
run eA with php-cgi - eA still runs best with php as an apache module (in
your case: libapache2-mod-php5).

> where and how do I have to define, which suffix will be
> forwarded to which PHP version?

In your webserver`s config files, which are located in /etc/apache2.
However, if you can, try to use PHP5 only. Avoid those .php4 and .php5
suffixing, because renaming, symlinking or even patching many php files only
causes unnecessary headaches, esp. every time you like to "click and update"
Typo3 or similar php-based software.. :)

> after configuring PHP4 correctly, may I use the
> "typo3-site-installer" from
> http://typo3.sunsite.dk/software/debian/ for the typo3
> installation on apache2?

Please use the source packages directly from typo3.org:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=20391&package_id=14557
&release_id=52628

They will work pretty well! No need for installers or .deb-Packages. These
are not 100% ready and up2date afaik.

If you are in doubt, which debian package to install to benefit from all
typo3 features, please just read the last lines of this answer.

> is there anything else that have to bear in mind?

Yes, please explain how much "access" do you have on your vhost-machine -
because compiling & installing eA on a vhost possibly might fail due to
restrictions..

And please keep in mind to configure php and eA, means give both enough (in
case of eA: shm-) memory to play with.

Feel free to ask further questions regarding, esp. those Typo3 & Debian
related ones, on this list: