[Typo3-debian] Up to date Debian packages available

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Fri May 6 19:46:33 CEST 2005

Hi Christian,

>> Generally, I still dislike some of the conceptions. You provide the
>> packages typo3-quickstart, typo3-testsite and typo3-dummy. But this way
>> they can only be installed once.
>
> Is the intended usage of these packages to be installed more than
> once?  I myself can't think of a situation where I would like to
> install multiple instances of the above packages.

Sure I can! All my sites are based on the dummy site. That's why I suggested
to have them installed as templates but not as instances and use the
site-installer to set them up.

But anyway, yes I have multiple instances of the quickstart site running and
I'm pretty sure that web hosters might want to do the same.

>> BTW, Ingmar and I discussed the sites philosophy in Kitzbühel. We're
>> thinking about removing the testsite and the quickstart package but
>> providing them as T3D files (TYPO3 site exports). So then everything will
>> be based on the dummysite which is already part of the site-installer in
>> your case...
>
> I like the idea to use T3D files to install quickstart and testsite.
>  What must be done to install a T3D file into TYPO3 without TYPO3
> being executed? I've searched typo3.org and nothing found. The next
> step would be to look into the code.

This feature is very new and I'm still testing if it is stable enough for
replacing the current packages.

Anyway, I don't think that this can be automated because if you ever tried
to import a site you will see that there might be a need for some users
input.

After all, I don't think this must be automated.

> The site-installer at the moment lacks many of required features 8-(
> - - create an adopted apache.conf
> - - build the complete site (copy from archive, create symlinks)

We once started to use CVS for letting other developers contribute - if you
are fine with that then we could let them participate to work on the
site-installer.

> Therefor I would like to go with the existing install once packages
> and get them accepted into Debian. Then go on working towards the
> T3D based packages that may be installed multiple times on the same
> machine. Do you agree?

As explained, I dislike the way how the site-installer and the site packages
are interacting. But this is totally up to you since you are doing the job
and you seem to be certain about your reasons.

>> Please mention in the docs that there is a Debian repository which
>> provides eaccelerator and graphicsmagick packages for Sarge:
>>
>> deb http://typo3.sunsite.dk/software/debian/ sarge all
>> deb-src http://typo3.sunsite.dk/software/debian/ sarge all
>>
>> (There's also a Woody repository which additionally contains GD and
>> ImageMagick with LZW, etc. But I didn't work on that one for quite some
>> time - don't know if it's still working...)
>
> done. But, why aren't these packages part of Debian? Should we move
> them to Debian main, too?

Thanks! They are not part of Debian because I am too lazy to spend time for
that. GraphicsMagick has been packaged by Sven Wilhelm who is also reading
this list and who is a DD as well as you I think.

If nobody is working on eaccelerator packages (very recommendable
software!!) then you are free to adopt them from me.

However since these packages will neither flow into Woody nor Sarge, I will
keep the repository to provide backports for them...

>> The path /var/lib/typo3/latest was my idea but I don't recommend it
>> anymore. If you upgrade TYPO3 3.7.0 to 3.8.0 and the latest symlink would
>> be changed, the site would be broken unless someone manually upgrades the
>> database in the Install Tool. So I rather think the "feature" is
>> dangerous than helpful. Can you please drop that?
>
> It's a bit difficult to drop. I use this link in many places as the
> default to the typo3_src directory. It is only set during the first
> installation of typo3-src. The link will NOT be changed automaticly.

Still it might be hard to upgrade such a server:
Once you upgrade the "latest" link (manually if not automatically) then you
will have to upgrade _all_ your sites which use this link in about 1 minute
if you don't want to shut them down just for upgrading TYPO3.

My suggestion is to look up for the latest version in /var/lib/typo3/ by
name and use this installation as the default.

> It may be possible, if we use the site-installer to install the
> packages from scratch.

Of course!! :-)

> The dependicies are only in the convenience package typo3 (you are
> naming this type of package typo3-env):

Ah, I see. Yes that makes sense.

>> - Some of the site packages miss some of the directories fileadmin/,
>>   typo3conf/, typo3temp/ or uploads/. These directories are essential for
>>   a site installation, make sure they're included.
>
> They are essential, but I've verified that they were already in the
> site packages:
>
> I have no idea what I can do.

Yes, true. I re-checked this. It seems like the Midnight Commander has a bug
when extracting the package files if they contain empty directories.

>> - What is the idea of using the "execdir"? I see no need for this...
>
> only the binaries located in this directory may be used from PHP.
> This is one of the security features of safe mode.

Ah, I already thought so.
Is it really needed to have symlinks for all binaries in _every_ site
installation?

What about an additional packages which adds those symlinks centralized
in /usr/bin/safe/ or so?

>> - The name of Kasper is wrongly written (Kasper Skårhøj). Please write
>>   "Kasper Skårhøj" or if that doesn't work "Kasper Skaarhoj"
>
> done. But now I get the warning:
> E: typo3-src source:
> debian-control-file-uses-obsolete-national-encoding at line 34
>
> Kasper Skårhøj is utf8 encoded - what should i do?

As said above - write "Skaarhoj" then.

Best regards
- michael
--