[Typo3-debian] Problem removing eaccelerator when using apt-get update - apt-get dist-upgrade

Jordan van Bergen jordanvanbergen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 10:00:35 CET 2005

Hi All,

> I'm using eaccelerator as a php accelerator using the following setup
> location:
> deb http://www.mstucki.net/debian/ testing all
> After I do the following:
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade
> the system wants to remove eaccelerator. But this fails with the following
> error
> message:
> Do you want me to do it for you now? [Y/n]Y
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/eaccelerator.prerm: line 53: /bin/rm: Argument list too
> long
> dpkg: error processing eaccelerator (--purge):
> subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1 You are
> installing eAccelerator for php4, but it is not yet enabled in your
> /etc/php4/apache{,2}/php.ini and/or /etc/php4/cgi/php.ini files.

The script executed is:
/var/lib/dpkg/info/eaccelerator.prerm

I did the following to remove eaccelerator package:

Open the file as root, go to line 53. There is a simpele rf line that fails.
The easiest way to fix it was putting a comment tag before the line.

After executing dpkg --purge the eaccelerator package is removed.
After this I had to manually delete the directories.

I did an apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade after this and everything
was working again.

For your information if someone will be facing the same in future.

Regards

Jordan van Bergen
jordanvanbergen at gmail.com