AW: [Typo3-debian] OT: Debian hardware

Alexander Schories alexander at schories.com
Fri Jan 14 16:29:55 CET 2005

Hello,

> 500€ for a system that is only a few disc cases high, don't

Mini-Mac price: even 589 Euro (!) in germany. Wow... Apple seems to lack a working currency converter.. ;-))

> know where
> to get this from the x86 area.

b-a-r-e-b-o-n-e

Yes, there are many to choose from now..

That could be only a problem for people, of course, who are swamped by free markets.. ;)

> A half year ago

Thanks for being honest here..

> if I see what Apple has now developed, than for me it's clear that I
> will go to the next Applestore for a demonstration of that MacMini.

Sven, there is no apple store in Michelstadt. No service center... ;-)

Why starting a journey, why enslave to another monopoly-moron?

Does design (well, the mini has no lcd, but still look fine.) dazzle you so much that you forget about internal values and facts?

> All the Mini's are not quiet easy at the moment but if Apple
> has reached
> this with his concept, than it is.

Ok, i judge things not by faith (in Steve/Bill/whoever) but by mere facts.

IMHO:

- minimac is a good idea

- but with slightly outdated hardware for a outragous price

> Powerpc are quiet well for Debian on PPC. Only the graphiccards
> sometimes make problems because of non-free drivers.

Knock, knock! ;-)  Apple and friends (ATi, nVidia) behave exactly the same way the X86-manufacturer do..but in case of X86 there`s competition.

One more, much more important thing:

Not all debian packages are available for PPC. But 90%. Still i had some "special" trouble with a Pegasos II machine..

Many non-free packages only provide latest binaries for x86..

> For backup reasons I would seperatly buy an LG DVD-RAM drive with an
> external USB2 or Firewire connection. Thats the best solution
> for small
> solutions now.

You can add "just" another 149 US$ - as far as i read - and you have an "internal" dvd-writer.

Honestly, how brainy is it to have a mini system with an exernal dvd writer (nearly) as big as the whole mini?! Either you make Steve very happy ($$), or you don`t really need a device that is "only a a few disc cases high". Even your old "shuttle" should be of the same size then. ;)

> One fine aspect that the non-x86 community always tells us.
> Not only the
>   big GHZ numbers tells the speed of a cpu, also the processor design
> has something to do with speed.

Absolutely true. Did i or anybody else said something else?

Still, but RISC itself will not double its power. ;) A 2 GHz INTeL oder AMD is much cheaper and faster.

I don`t care whether it is an X86, PPC, Alpha or Sparc based system: It should only provide best value, means best performance for a competitive price.

My last Mac was a G4 system. My two suns still run fine (large format scanner), but i wouldn`t buy new ones anymore.

>  From the software point of view it should be no problem.

s.o.

Honestly, do you run PPC based machines on debian? You never had trouble with "non-free" packages or binaries only available to x86?! You love to compile just about anything esp. for your PPC? It always "worked like a charm"? Come on!

>  From the hardware point of view, if the box is ok for you (take a
> direct demonstration in the applestore) buy it.

But in the end HE has to pay for it. ;)

:)

Kind Regards

Alexander Schories
Tuebingen, Germany

If privacy or security of communication is on your mind, feel free to
establish a secure transmission using the PGP public key obtainable from http://www.schories.com/alexander/pubkey/alexander_schories.asc