[Typo3-debian] Upgrade to Sarge, Xampp

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Tue Feb 15 00:40:38 CET 2005

Hello Michael,

> I read a lot of the FAQs etc on debain.org but it is still not clear to me
> -
>   is that a possible way to upgrade to sarge:
>
> -Change the appropiate settings ind sources.list (woddy->sarge)
> -make apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade

Yes this was the way I was upgrading my workstation. However there may be
conflicts or new depenencies, so make sure you read the list of changes
clearly (etc. the list of programs which will be removed by apt-get).

> BTW: Anybody ever tried this LAMP bundle, called Xampp
> (www.apachefriends.org)? They use eAccelerator (0.9.2a) which removes
> Turck MMCache and phpMyAdmin (2.6.1).

Why does eAccelerator conflict with phpMyAdmin?

Anyway, I don't really like the idea of a software bundle. There is a
project called "typo3-installer" which compiles a whole LAMP environment on
a minimal installation, but it won't tell you when an update for package XY
is needed. And do you really believe that people will compile everything
again in that case?

So the situation is clear, at least for me: Trust the security team of your
favourite distribution and see if any updates are needed.

For Debian users, it is very easy to stay up to date thanks to a handy
utility called "cron-apt". And the big bonus is that you can always expect
that the upgrade will not break your system since the fixes are simply
backported to the "stable" version you had installed.
(This does not affect the dist-upgrade of course!)

- michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html