[Typo3-debian] Status of Debian Sarge with Typo3?

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sun Apr 3 22:03:03 CEST 2005

Hi Andreas,

>> Make sure you have installed php4-gd, I suggest you replace ImageMagick
>> with GraphicsMagick:
>
> Is GraphicsMagick better with typo3 than IM?

This has nothing to do with TYPO3. Well, both programs are almost the same.
GM is a fork of IM. Please search the web for reasons why they forked it.

Next you should also have a look at the TYPO3 Install Tool, page "4: All
configuration"...

> I would be happy to help out with that.
>
> On Monday I will do a clean install on sarge and see what packages that
> are depended on these..
>
> apache 1
> apache-common apache2-utils catdoc gawk libapache-mod-php4 libapr0
> libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl libgd2-xpm libmysqlclient10 libmysqlclient12
> libnet-daemon-perl libplrpc-perl libt1-5 libzzip-0-12 mysql-client
> mysql-common mysql-server php4 php4-cgi php4-cli php4-common php4-gd
> php4-mysql typo3-base typo3-site-installer xpdf-common xpdf-utils
> imagemagick php4-imagick gv

Uff. Such a big list doesn't look much inviting to new users, does it?

Suggestion: Let's remove the packages that are installed through
dependencies. Next you should also remove the stuff which seems not to be
used at all (or is there any reason for using these?)

What you will get is this (you can use this list for the upcoming Wiki
page.... :-))

Additional entries for /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://typo3.sunsite.dk/software/debian/ sarge all

Apache 1 packages:
- apache               (Apache 1.3.x)
- libapache-mod-php4   (the PHP module for Apache 1.3.x)

Apache 2 packages:
- apache2-mpm-prefork  (which MPM do other people recommend? Actually I have
                        no clue which one to choose :-))
- libapache2-mod-php4  (the PHP module)

Common packages:
- php4                 (common stuff for both module versions)
- php4-gd              (the GD extension)
- php4-mysql           (the MySQL extension)
- mysql-server         (the MySQL server)

Optional packages:
- graphicsmagick       (used to do various image operations)
- graphicsmagick-im-compat (will replace ImageMagick with GraphicsMagick)
- xpdf-utils           (contains pdftotext, used by indexed_search)
- catdoc               (contains catdoc, used by indexed_search)
- gs                   (GhostScript, used to create PDF thumbnails)
- eaccelerator         (will speed up your PHP scripts)

Optionally optional packages:
- logcheck             (mails anomalies in the system logfiles to the
                        administrator)
- php4-curl            (if you need to access TER through a proxy [1])
- php4-cli             (could be used by some cron jobs)

Not needed:
- typo3-base           (this is TYPO3 3.5.0 - it's really outdated)
- typo3-env            (will conflict with php4-gd! make sure it's removed.)
- typo3-site-installer (broken?)
- imagemagick          (functionality is already provided by GraphicsMagick)

Did I miss anything?

Hope this could be useful...
- michael

[1] I once wrote a small hack that provides the same functionality by
    executing wget. Is anybody interested to see this?
--
Use a newsreader! Check out