[Typo3-debian] Integration of Typo3-Packages into the Debian main archive

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Tue Nov 23 11:56:11 CET 2004

Hi,

Ingmar Schlecht schrieb:
> Hi Christian, hi Stucki,
>
> Michael Stucki wrote:
>
>> The reason for his comment is that the current packages are split:
>>
>> typo3-frontend: Everthing except typo3/ and _all_ of its contents
>> typo3-backend: typo3/
>>
>> Maybe you didn't realize this yet... ;-)
>

> Well, if it's really the case that the whole typo3/ directory is put
> into the BE package, then I really have to say it makes no sense.
>
> For that would even mean, typo3/sysext/cms/tslib/ is also not included
> in the frontend but in the backend package which is just wrong.
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/typo3/TYPO3core/typo3/sysext/
>
> What you could do is checking every single extension folder in
> typo3/sysext/ whether it's related to FE or BE.
>
> So, for example  typo3/sysext/belog/ would be in the BE package whereas
> typo3/sysext/cms/ or typo3/sysext/indexed_search/ would be included in
> the FE package.
>
> Is that what you want to do? If so, I'd say why not.

Thx Ingmar. Imho that could be a "perfect" solution, fitting almost all
cases.

On the other hand it probably doesn't make that much sense anymore
because some extensions do provide stuff for BE *and* FE(for example
indexed_search). So what should happen to those packages?

Go into FE-package? (providing stuff for a BE that is not there,
probably causing errors?)
Be split?(actually I believe this should be the way to go then but I am
not sure if that doesn't raise the maintanance-effort very much plus I
am not sure if it could work after all since the use of the
EXT-configuration doesn't strictly separate beetween FE and BE)

Like I said: I do believe it is a nice idea but it needs thorough
investigations and work and imho it might be it is not even possible
after all.

> But just putting the whole typo3/ directory into the BE package is wrong.
>
> BTW, @Christian, I don't quite understand you reaction to Stucki's mail.
> We're just discussing the technical aspects here, and no one tried to
> offend anyone.

plus it doesn't help at all if we have a FE-Package that doesn't serve
CMS, cause I don't think many people server TYPO3-Pages without
sysext:CMS. ;)

Cheers,
Peter