[Typo3-debian] Integration of Typo3-Packages into the Debian main archive

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sun Nov 7 00:46:12 CET 2004

Hello Sven,

> I think one important point for future releases is the guarantee that
> several old releases are maintained for a time, not from any
> distribution maintainers but in cvs. If a bug is resolved, it must be
> fixed in other branches (eg. 3.6.2) as well if no other parts are broken
> after.

No, this is not the case yet! There is no planned TYPO3 3.6.3 release.
Currently, the only maintained branch is the most recent one.

However we might come up with such a service as soon as one of you
volunteers to do that.

Anyway, there is no security related bug in TYPO3 3.6.2. You can still
safely use it if you don't want to move over to 3.7.0. If any security
related issues will be found, we might think about 3.6.3 again.

> If anyone decides to bring up a new packaging structure, I think the
> following topics are very important.
> * for big companies (eg. ISPs and other) it isn't directly possible to
>    move from eg. 3.6.2 to 3.7
>    * could be that there are to much instance to verify
>      (no company just upgrades, the evaluate the version, verify that the
>       system keeps on running after upgrade)
>    * could be that the system is integrated into other systems

Say your site is using TYPO3 3.6.1, then you can safely update your
installation to 3.6.2 but not to 3.7.0 because this requires manual
database checking and comparison if no extensions have become broken in
this version.

So let's say there have to be separate packages for each branch:

- typo3-source-3-6
- typo3-source-3-7

> So new packaging motivations should also keep their eyes on such topics.
> Also the complete source should move to something like /usr/share/typo3
> as normally it shouldn't be necessary to edit typo3/install/index.php
> (better way is to look for another way to have a secure install-password)

True, the source does no longer require any editing.
Currently, there's still the exception of typo3/install/index.php but I
already think about some /etc/typo3/<sitename> structure where custom
localconf settings can be defined and where the install tool can be
locked/unlocked.

The typo3-site-installer will take care of this.

- michael
--
Want support? Please read the list rules first: http://typo3.org/1438.0.html