[Typo3-debian] Partitioning a dedicated debian typo3 server?

Steffen Mueller steffen at davis.kommwiss.fu-berlin.de
Sun Nov 16 00:33:49 CET 2003

Jan-Hendrik Heuing [netfielders] schrieb:
> Hi folks !
>
> Just reading through the list, as I am interested in going into debian...
> Redhat is running fine for us, but you never know... ;)

welcome to the debian list. using michaels well working packages,
typo3-installation is as simple as it could be.

>>>- some paranoia made me seperating /tmp and add noexec/nosuid options in
>>> /etc/fstab. see manpage of mount for further mounting instructions.
>>
>>which is good if paranoid ;) but not a real safeguard (fstab is sometimes
>>ignored, even "readonly" is not always enforced)
>

> Paranoid, or is this really something you should take care off ? At least it
> would be new to me :)

since noexec is _not_ preventing files in /tmp from being executed, this
option is not keeping it's promises. there has been an interesting
thread about that in comp.os.linux.security. the most helpful posting is:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&selm=87fzu74057.fsf%40xyzzy.adsl.dk

>>>for swap, i use to spend double amount of memory space. some
>>>documentation on the web instructed me, not to spend more than 1 gig for
>>> swap and that worked for me. for best performance, switch of swap and
>>>increase ram size.
>>
>>for me, 1024MB (= 2x 512MB RAM) works as a charm. I'm, used to setting a
>>dou ble value also.
>

> We are having most of our servers with 2GB Ram, so should I double or should
> I not set it up larger than 1 GB ? Both is not working at the same time :) I
> don't think HD-space is a problem anyway. So I don't care really about the
> space it uses.

hm. the only thing i can tell you for sure is: turning off swap and
limiting your system will keep it performant. i don't think that 4 GB of
swap space helps. operations (or data) being swaped to harddisk are
running much slower - no matter if 1 or 4 GB swapspace. if traffic's too
high, increase your RAM or balance your load instead.

--
cheers,
Steffen