[Typo3-debian] GD with GIF support: Apache segfaults

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Sun Jun 29 22:26:29 CEST 2003

Hi Henning,

> 1. removed php4-gd2 and libgd2
> 2. downloaded, compiled and installed patched GD package from rime.com.au
> 3. downloaded, built and installed php4-gd2 Debian (source) package

You'd better try this:

1. apt-get source php4-gd2
2. patch the source
3. modify the configure call in debian/rules
4. fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage

I never tried that, see below to know why...

> Now, whenever I try to use GIFs from within Typo3/PHP, Apache segfaults.
> According to phpinfo(), the GD extension did load correctly.

What architecture are you using?
I had huge problems with php4-gd2 on an Alphastation. Have a look at
README.Debian where you'll find a solution for that...

> Any suggestions? I would really like to avoid having to re-compile PHP
> with the GD functions statically compiled in.

It's so easy! Simply add this line to your localconf.php:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS["GFX"]["gdlib_png"] = '1';

;-)

Seriously. What's wrong with PNG?

Cheers - michael