[Typo3-debian] Multihosting using the debian package

Edelhard Becker typo3 at edelhard.de
Tue Jun 17 11:26:01 CEST 2003

Hi typoheads,

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 10:40:05AM +0200, Steffen Mueller wrote:
> Michael Stucki schrieb:
> >
> >Lite-site (upload static HTML files / cheap offer)
> >Bite-site (CMS-enabled full-featured TYPO3 / expensive offer)
> >
> >Now let's say both offers are hosted on the same server. How could we
> >assure
> >that no lite-site customers can access the typo3-source? See the point? (Or
> >is it finally me who didn't understand the real problem...?)

that i'd just call a Management (or Accounting) Issue. While a
security issue must be solved (e.g. one customer modifying another
customer's pages etc.) this problem depends on the provider's policy.
If he offers typo3 as an option without additional fee, there's no
problem, right?

> ahh, i see.
> now Edelhards and your proposals make sense.
> this is really interesting, however, i do not have idea to solve this,
> without turning off interesting features, like shell-access, exec() etc.

What made me think that this is not a problem for you (Steffen) was
that you're mailing from a fu-berlin account. I (implicitely) thought
you want to set up a (Typo3-based) webserver for your department where
all groups, projects, people etc. have a place to present their stuff.
Shell access for all department members and accounting of webspace,
traffic etc. are usually not an issue inside the university.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 10:42:14AM +0200, Michael Stucki wrote:
> Hehe, but this is what Edelhard thought you were talking of! ;-)
>
> So finally the questions are:
> - Is anybody interested in this feature?

For me it's OK as long as there's no security issue. We changed our
provider this month to be able to redesign our webpages with Typo3 (we
had no mySql before). Accounting with the new provider is (mainly)
based on harddisk space and traffic, any customer might use Typo3 if
[s]he wants to or not. OTOH they offer no pre-installed ready-to-use
site, you'll have to install Typo3 manually yourself.

> - Steffen, what was your original question (regarding Multihosting etc.)?

Greetings,
Edelhard
--
~