[Typo3-debian] What does the debian packages install?

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Tue Jun 10 11:44:08 CEST 2003

Hi Rob,

> I just asked myself, if I could use it on my Debian-VServer where Apache
> and MySQL is preinstalled. Should I deinstall both before installing your
> package?

Of course you don't need to! Wouldn't make sense if you were not able to
continue using the existing packages, right? :-)

> How is the installing of your package organized? Does it use the default
> directories and ports in Debian? And how is the Typo3-installation
> organized? Where is the source package placed, and where the users
> directories?

- The source is system-wide and sits in /var/lib/typo3/$version/
- You can enter a directory of your choice (preferrably one that is covered
by Apache, i.e. /var/www) and run the site-installer script to create a new
site. It's really easy, isn't it?!

> I remember a discussion about this questions in this list some times ago.
> How did it change in your new package in consideration to your former one?

> Would be nice, if you could explain it a bit.

Before the current release we had the source in /usr/share/typo3 except
those directories that need write access. Since the FHS doesn't allow files
to be changed in /usr/share/... I places these files in /var/lib/typo3.

Unfortunately this didn't work because PHP had problems with the symlinks.
Many files were not found, images not displayed, etc.

That's why I decided to move _all_ files into /var/lib/typo3 which should
still be correct according to the FHS (filesystem hierarchy standard).

> Does anybody could suggest a (free or cheap) Server admin tool for a
> Debian Server, where new clients can be installed easily and a Client
> backend may be provided, like confixx or so?

I'm looking for the same. I have a few links at home. Couldn't look at them
yet. But if you want them, just write me a mail and I can pass them to
you...

Cheers - michael