[Typo3-debian] Using several sites with one source

Steffen Mueller steffen at davis.kommwiss.fu-berlin.de
Thu Dec 11 19:45:21 CET 2003

hi.

Michael Stucki schrieb:

>>*** Problems:
>>- Reconfiguration of a file from a global extension (e.g. with the
>>extension manager) will have consequences for every site.
>

> That's true. This is a general problem when you are mixing global with
> several local extensions. Who would you solve it?

divide [EXT][noEdit] into [EXT][noEditGlobal] and [EXT][noEditLocal].
this gives you the control, to permit altering local extensions but
prevent global extensions from being changed.

what was the original idea behind splitting extensions into global and
local?

> My opinion on this is: When finishing a page, let's accept that the version
> we used for this project is fixed. I have considered this in the
> site-installer: As long as you don't use the '-a' switch, the site will be
> linked with the absolute path of the current version. ('-a' would point to
> /var/lib/typo3/latest instead.)

that means, we need a way to install several, independent sources (and
in some cases, the same version) - never seen that debian. or did i
misunderstand you?

> Feel free to update to the most recent version, and your future projects
> will be based on this one. But the sites that already exist will not be
> touched by this step - I think this is good!)

as long as you don't have to alter a global extension for a "finished"
site, this is true.

but have a look at this example:
imagine a productive site and a testing site, making use of the same
sources. the testing site is just a copy of the productive one, where,
for example, bugfixes are being tested.
now, the "CSS styled content" extension is installed as a global
extension and used by both sites. since this extension is still beta,
some changes have to be made, to make it work. but we can't do that
without the risk of crashing our productive environment. that means, all
tests have to be done with local extensions (as you mentioned below).
my problem here is, i can't find a way to install this extension locally.

maybe we just need more permission control over installing/editing
extensions.

> I don't think so, see above. And keep in mind: As long as an extension is
> installed _locally_ this one will be preferred by TYPO3 over the _global_
> one.

how to choose that?

> I remember my first steps with creating Debian packages. The source was
> stored in /usr/share/typo3 (read-only) while typo3/ext and typo3/temp were
> placed in /var/lib/typo3. I used symbolic links to connect these
> directories with each other.

that's what i would have suggested, too.

> However, this doesn't work, feel free to make a test. PHP seems to have
> problems with symbolic links. There should be something about that in the
> list archive!

i will test this after christmas (with the 3.6.0-dev package). but since
there are already a lot of symlinks, i don't think this is the problem.

> By the way, TYPO3 3.6.0 will not contain typo3/temp anymore, so the only
> folder that may need R/W access is typo3/ext. Since I only install
> extensions _locally_ this was never a problem for me (I think this setting
> is also the default of TYPO3 - you have to explicitely allow it if you want
> to install your extensions globally.)

i have:
[EXT][allowGlobalInstall]=0
[EXT][allowLocalInstall]=1

but most of the extensions you can find within the "available extensions
to install" menu are global as default.

huge posting, sorry for that.

--
cheers,