[Typo3-debian] Debian-Install-Package

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Fri Apr 11 23:03:06 CEST 2003

Hi Robert,

> Ok, I will have to learn, how the dselect-command works. I'll take a look
> in the docs first ;-) btw: I've got gdlib via apt-get, too, but I think
> they have to be configured for the use with php. When using dselect, will
> this be handled automatically? Or can you give me a hint how to
> configure/make the gdlib-using?

Modify /etc/php4/apache/php.ini and add (or uncomment) this line:

  extension=gd.so

Don't forget to restart Apache when you're done.

>> This is a good point  to discuss! Do you think I should keep
>> it this way or
>> change every package to a dependency?

> I don't know whats possible. From my point of view the best install
> package would use a kind of dialog to inform, what it does at the moment,
> and to ask/interact, if additional features and dependencies should be
> installed, too. So you would know (at least a little) about the procedures
> and what will be changed on your server.

As far as I know, it is not possible to install additional packages through
Debconf (any experts here?). So this means this would not be possible.

> And after finishing a text with some additional instructions about the
> typo3-using (installed in a special dir.; symlink to it from the users
> dirs this or that way etc.) would make the dummy user (like me) of your
> package the happiest man on earth :-)

This is the general rule: You have to read the documentation files (at least
README.Debian - if existing) in /usr/share/doc/<packagename>

> I will have a try and will ask again, if I don't know what to do.
> Thanks again and greatings!

Any success yet?

> PS:
> I have problems with the mysql. I can't use it because of this kind of
> message:

>> mysql status
> ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: NO)

> I have no root password up to now and don't know how to fix this problem,
> when the root can't do that. And because mysql was preinstalled, there're
> no installation-infos to deinstall mysql. Any hint for this problem?

See above: Read /usr/share/doc/mysql-server/README.Debian!

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Michael