[Tycon3] do you know...

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Wed Jun 22 13:06:20 CEST 2005

Hi,

first of all, nice to hear some words from you on this matter. :->
Will help everybody to calm down. ;)

Kasper Skårhøj schrieb:

>[...]
> TyCon: Expensive event for web professionals sent by their employee to
> learn about TYPO3 and nothing else.
> Snowboard tour: Inexpensive event for anyone who enjoys the social
> aspect mixed in with technical etc.; Students.
>
> Snowboarding is not "inexpensive" i know, but it is quite common for
> people to go skiing once a year, even for students. So I don't buy that.
> Hasn't been a problem till now.

OK, I get that. I have assumed that and I think this has been clear to
some parts of the community. But I think it hasn't been that clearly
communicated all the way.

So now we have two events but I still do have the strong feeling that we
miss one important event for a clear future of CMS TYPO3.

Imho TYPO3 would benefit a lot from a DEVCON. As you stated the
snowboard-tour is really more of a social event. I do appreciate it
very, very much but it leaves a gap as a matter of really getting the
community together with the aim to talk/discuss/share the further
development with all the people that are willing to put some efforts
into this. At the snowboard-tour this happens in beetwenn but not in a
truely goal-oriented fashion.

I know there is some dev-meetings from time to time but that is still
kind of a black-box to the community and not open for participation. I
don't blame that since that might be needed for efficient work
of course.

But still, I would really like to see an event like a DEVCON. Also I am
really willing to put my guts into that kind of event.

> BTW; If any of you want a cheaper snowboard tour or conference it might
> be a question of doing some of the admin-work yourself instead of buying
> someone to do it. If you think so, get involved in the event-committee
> and change the course of things!

Alrighty, we are just now getting into that I think. ;)

At the time the Conference was raising on the horizon I had quite some
plans for a conference myself and even talked to Daniel about this. My
approach was rather aimed at developers and web-pros. After decision for
punkt.de organizing the TYPCO3 and the mainly business oriented target I
obviously stopped thinking about it.

> About the money calculations some of you did: If it REALLY is that tons
> of money is being made on this event, do you really think that it is
> buying Jürgen Egeling a big yacht? And if it did, do you know what
> amount of money Jürgen recently invested into TYPO3 infrastructure? Did
> you thank him? What if the association actually gets income from this
> event? Is that a good or a bad thing? Its an overly GOOD thing! Imagine
> if we manage to make money on the very people who make money using
> TYPO3! Isn't that exactly what all of you students want to see! That
> TYPO3 development is funded by the guys who have money! You should
> rather appreciate that the association is looking at what assets might
> bring it money for development rather that complaining about it.

Well the assoc will hopefully present some financial facts on a regular
basis as well as for the conference.

[...]
> None of that comes for free just because I'm a nice guy. I
> really hope the conference will make a big revenue so I don't have to
> worry about peoples sparetime commitments but can rely them to deliver
> what is paid for.

+1

Regards,
Peter