[TYPO3-t3dd] T3DD09 Coding-Night

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Fri Nov 7 10:22:08 CET 2008

Hi Dmitry,

Am 07.11.2008 um 09:51 schrieb Dmitry Dulepov:

> I can tell about my experience only...
>
> Sometimes contacts are a bit annoying. Some people come, look to
> your badge and speak with the idea in large eyes: "Wooooooooooooow!
> This is a core team member! Why don't I ask him something?" and ask
> a question similar to "How to wrap text with html tags in the TEXT
> object?" (10.wrap = <b>|</b>). Or they shake hands and say "I am
> John Doe, remember me asking you a question in the mailing list a
> year ago about wrapping text?". It is a pleasure to work for TYPO3
> but it is never a pleasure to be a TYPO3 celebrity. Sometimes I
> understand how Kasper feels being well-known to everyone.

I agree that sometimes it's not easy to be a "TYPO3 pop star".

However, what I found to be very helpful for coming down to earth
again is participating in events or conferences of other communities.

At the Dynamic Languages World in spring this year I spoke to
several people who are quite famous in their world (Flex, Air etc.).
They didn't even know TYPO3 so it was really nice explaining to them
what it's all about and how our community works.

Or even something completely different: I regularly visit (samba)
drumming festivals and workshops and realize that the drumming
community is like any other: there are these brilliant maestros who
know drumming like no other, they know eachother, meet regularly
on many conventions - and on the other side there's me, some
enthusiastic guy who just knows the basics and is impressed and
happy if some of the famous guys talk with me drinking a beer or two.

So bottomline for me is: yes, we are famous somehow and this position
helps in many regards, but there are still so many people out there
who do so much cooler things than we do and for me it's just a pleasure
meeting them and getting inspired by their ideas.

Once you stop talking with them you'll only stay with guys of your kind
and not only stop getting fresh ideas but also start seeing yourself
as one of the last polymaths ...

robert