[TYPO3-UG India] Strange problem with Tamil in GMENUs

Christian Lerrahn typo3 at penpal4u.net
Fri May 2 06:00:53 CEST 2008

Hi Rahul,
thanks for your input. Dr Mohanty actually confirms everything I have
learnt so far. The problem that IM has is that it does not employ any
shaping engine and does the rendering itself. However, while it can
render all the individual characters properly, it does not do the
shaping, i.e. does not use the rules embedded in the OpenType font.
This leads to the character order being wrong at times.
The sensible way for IM to handle this would be to link against Pango
or ICU because Dr Mohanty is right that these two are able to render
OpenType fonts correctly. As this would not be a big deal, I actually
hope that the IM developers will take that on board. I had a look at
the ICU documentation and if I should have the time, I might even
suggest a patch for IM. However, as my time is very limited, that is
rather unlikely.

Thanks a lot for the input.

Cheers,
Christian