[TYPO3-typo3org] typo3.org Packages and Download page (continued)

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Mar 5 15:05:18 CET 2010

Hi all,

Back to this topic (taking a break from core docs ;-) ):

> Changes are:
> - the order of the elements on the page. After a short intro (slightly
> modified to provide links to content further down) comes the version
> matrix followed by the package explanation (which really the legend of
> the matrix). Then comes the "At a glance" paragraph, then the new
> paragraph about 4.4 added by Benni in the meantime, and last the link to
> SourceForge for the older packages.
> - in the matrix itself, I have added the release dates of each the
> latest maintenance releases.

There were little reactions to this, which I took as a positive sign, so
I went ahead and published this new version.

One main remark, which I didn't yet take into account, is to remove the
download links for TYPO3 4.0 and 4.1, as we shouldn't encourage people
to start a new site with them. I'm unsure about this, but why not? Other
opinions?

Then, the Download page (with a refreshed preview link):

http://typo3.org/index.php?ADMCMD_prev=ee368ee7822e726c23144e3b1a891f00&id=1233

> Changes are:
> - I moved here Steffen's idea of large buttons with download links to
> the latest version (without the button styles for now). Question is
> whether we really need to link to source, source+dummy and dummy, or
> only to some of these?
> - after that I added a paragraph for older versions, with a drop-down
> menu for quick access and a link to the Packages page
> - finally I put the link to the Installers in a separate paragraph.
>
> The layout does't fit with the picture, but let's not talk about design
> for now.

There have been no comments on that. Does it mean everybody is happy?

> *** Last note:
> What was *not* changed yet is the wording of source/dummy, since we
> didn't really reach a consensus yet and we can roll out improvements one
> after the other.

And the famous wording problem. I guess we can get back to it now.
Here's my proposal:

- Source only
- Skeleton site
- Source + skeleton