[TYPO3-typo3org] typo3.org Packages and Download page (continued)

Francois Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Wed Feb 17 22:56:04 CET 2010

Hi all,

I'm opening a new thread to clear things up a bit.

Having received a lot of positive reviews (also internally from fellow
core team members), I have published the draft version of the Packages
page I had prepared, which merged the new Version Matrix (for which -
again - thanks go to Oliver Klee and Steffen Kamper for the original work).

Here's the new workspace version:

https://typo3.org/index.php?ADMCMD_prev=e037bf3dc3d2b4b1028cde92808774a0&id=1274

with MySQL max versions added for TYPO3 4.2 and 4.1.

 From this on, we can start working on the many other remarks that were
made:

- have a big button for downloading quickly the latest version. This has
sparked quite a lot of debate, although most agree that this is a good
idea. Personally I wouldn't add this to the top of the Packages page,
but I would place it on the Download page itself, which is not extremely
useful for now IMO. Then people could move to the Packages page for more
details.
- someone suggested to remove the download links for 4.1 and 4.0, since
they are considered - respectively - deprecated and obsolete. While I
find that this makes sense, it somehow also looks weird.
- I'm unconvinced by the "At a glance" section now at the top of the
Packages page. On second thoughts, I must say that I don't find it that
useful and I could live without it.
- the release date is that of the major version. It might be a good idea
to show the date of the latest maintenance release (next to the release
number) to show the liveliness of the project.

The first point sparked a big debate about both naming of the various
packages and what to provide as a starter package: the debate has moved
to the typo3.projects.typo3_4-3.general mailing list. Look for a thread
entitled "Get rid of source+dummy, source and dummy package" (be warned
that you may feel lonely if your first name is not "Steffen" ;-) ).

I took this opportunity to look at the download pages/process of other
well-known CMSes. Most are really nothing to write home about, but one I
found really worthy is ezPublish:

http://ez.no/download

This may be too much of a change for now, but could be an inspiration
for the typo3.org revamp.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter