[TYPO3-typo3org] Newsgroups

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at think-open.at
Mon Apr 26 15:37:08 CEST 2010

Steffen Gebert wrote:

> But do you know, if there's really no demand? Maybe many people are
> disappointed of not having lists in their native languages.

I also agree. Even when in the IT business much information is available
only in English it is a sign of politeness and acceptance to have
information also available in other languages. Not that I would like to
conjure a babel symptom - but offering newsgroups in native languages is
something which does not make any hurt.

The rest of this mail is only for people who like to read all the other
"bla" stuff which comes into my mind:

If a person sees there is an English newsgroup and one in his own
language she/he will probably subscribe to both. If she/he notices that
the list of her/his own language is not really used, they will start
using the English group anyways.

I do also not want to have a newsgroup for every African and Eskimo
dialect. If you have a look at this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

you will notice English is only the third most used language and German
is even only at place 10. I guess many people in China and other
countries are not able to speak German or English. For example in my
course for Portugese we have been told that in Brazil English is not
very common - and most Portuguese speakers live in Brazil.

One may very easily be misleaded to the tought that everyone using the
Internet speaks English, just because all information you get presented
is in English or German. I guess google is clever enough not to present
you articles of other languages if it knows you speak German, English
and probably a little bit Italian because you live in Switzerland ;)

And I do not want anybody having to dig deep into the innermosts of
their brains to recover some language they learned in school but never
used in real life.

greets,
Bernhard