[TYPO3-typo3org] Newsgroups

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Apr 26 11:39:31 CEST 2010

Hi Bernd,

> my first thought: why don't you ask for a ng 'typo3.portuguese' as for
> all the other languages as the t3.ug.*-ngs are mainly for meeting-
> arrangements.
>
> I used my newsreader to display all TYPO3-ngs and found: there is only
> typo3.english and typo3.german
>
> are all the other languages done in t3.ug.*-ngs?
> maybe we need some languages more

The naming of those newsgroups was a bit unlucky when looking back from
now. The UG newsgroups were created for local usergroups (as the name
says). Most of them are part of a region where either German or English
is spoken, so for these it fits well to separate between technical
questions (typo3.english / typo3.german) and organizational questions
(typo3.ug.xyz).

However, for other languages like Dutch, Spanish, Russian, etc. there is
only one newsgroup for all kinds of topics. But considering the low
traffic and the fact that most people speak English anyway, I don't
think anyone of those people ever missed to have an additional
newsgroup. At least nobody has ever asked so far...

So, let's better leave it as is, and accept that the naming may be a bit
confusing, rather than having 10 or more additional newsgroups, just
because it's nice to have them.

Of course it's still ok to have new newsgroups for languages which are
not covered yet, however, as I already answered to Bernhard, this
request should come from a person who is going to follow it...

- michael

PS: The right place to ask would be mailto:admin at typo3.org.