[TYPO3-typo3org] Package matrix incorrect?

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Apr 23 10:30:06 CEST 2010

Ingmar Schlecht schrieb am 10.04.2010 10:43:

>>> the package matrix at http://typo3.org/download/packages/ states that
>>> TYPO3 4.2.12 runs with PHP 5.1. This is apparently not true (makes use
>>> of filter_var() e.g.).
>> Hmm, this confusion again :-( There was a thread recently in the core
>> list about making 4.2 truly compatible with 5.1 - I think - but I can't
>> remember how it ended up. And maybe some points were missed...
>
> I actually think the versin matrix should show 5.2 either way, because
> our policy was always to officially announce 5.2 being the requirement
> and only internally trying to keep TYPO3 4.2 compatible with 5.1 as well
> (whether that was a wise choice in the first place to have it that way
> is another question though).

The problem is that if it is not written down somewhere, some core dev
might again introduce non PHP 5.1 compatible code in 4.2 (again). This
happened in 4.2.11. I fixed that one some time ago (24.2.):

	* Fixed bug #13258: Make TYPO3 v4.2 work again with PHP 5.1 (was broke
since the case since 4.2.11)

But there has been no release since. So I think we could / should
release 4.2.13, and keep "5.1" in the matrix. This will make all RHEL
users feel "safe" again and make sure our core team also knows that we
want to stick to it.

After all the "matrix" is the official source where everybody (including
the core team) can look at what should be supported and what not.
Especially important when introducing security fixes, which might end up
introducing "new functions".

Cheers,
Ernesto