[TYPO3-typo3org] TER crap!

georg kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Thu Nov 12 01:44:10 CET 2009

Hola,

It might be nice (and even help to some extend) to write scripts and
partly automate here or there.

However me feels you're missing an important point:
    The TER currently has NO meaningfil POLICY at all. (there are just
some lived procedures).

Before any new & fancy typo3.org & EXT:TER or EXT:TER-FE changes could
be planned, organized, coded, tested, ... there needs to be a TER-policy.

I'm aware that there some lived and partly organized concepts,
procedures like:
- security removed extensions,
- handling of ownership (keys),
- review-process (sill alive? - where to find info upon?),
and even more. However the overall concept and policy seems to be
missing (or is highly incomplete/not automated/followed up).

I'm not voting for too rigid restrictions, however I know that
- the ammount of extensions in TER is kinda useless, confusing, and
meanwhile ruining reputation,
- the overall quality is bad,
- the overall view is terrible.
Searching for meaningful Extensions (that is: mantained, recent,
following CGL, secure & documented) is quite impossible.

Resume:
- The lack of a welldefined, executed or enforced TER-policy will soon
render TER completely useless.
- Lets take action, by defining a policy, responsabilities & then lets
"automate" its enforcement.

I strongly feel that the ASSOC (as owner of the TER) is in charge of
setting up a meaningful & live-able TER-policy incl. its enforcement.

hth, georg